Thursday, February 7, 2013

Sick.

Is this not the saddest face ever?
Nate Boyce: ND Boyce 2013 &emdash;

Noah got nailed with a pretty rotten cold.

It seemed fairly standard for the first two days, but Tuesday night things changed a bit.  I picked Noah up for bed, and he was hot.  Like, really hot.  He was in pretty good spirits, so I didn't think it was too bad, but I got the thermometer.  The reading of 105.3 caused me to try it again the most 'accurate' way, and the result was the same.

Thankfully my sister and Jason were already at our house. (Um, she has been bringing us dinner every Tuesday since the busy season started.  Awesome, right?)  They hung out with my sleeping Luke while I called the advice nurse and pediatrician and then headed off to urgent care.

There were three people ahead of us, but when I mentioned Noah's temperature reading, we were put at the front of the line and seen within five minutes.  Look at those hot, pink cheeks.
Nate Boyce: ND Boyce 2013 &emdash;

The doctor was calm, but honest, and let me know that if Noah's fever couldn't be reduced quickly with medication we would be off to the ER.  A high fever like that can lead to some bad stuff for a little guy.
Great.

I felt really comfortable about the whole situation and mostly just wanted to get some kind of treatment started.  And, thank goodness, that treatment worked, and he was back in the 101 range.  Noah was a champ during the exam and even waved to the doctor.

By ten o'clock we were headed back home.  While the fever hasn't gone that high again, our usually over-the-top happy guy is still pretty miserable.  He's got lots of coughing, a bit of a fever and sure is needy.  You know a kid is sick when he doesn't even want ice cream.

This morning he fell asleep on my shoulder while I was feeding Luke.
Nate Boyce: ND Boyce 2013 &emdash;


I can't wait to have THIS guy back in a day or two:
Nate Boyce: ND Boyce 2013 &emdash;

Me, I'm worn out.  These two boys are keeping me busy -- day and night.  But I keep having that phrase, "Forget yourself and go to work," weave itself into my thoughts.  Yes, I'm aching for some 'me' time, but it's temporary.  I really am, above all, grateful.  It's amazing how quality, accessible medical care, simple medication and prayer can serve as the perfect combination for healing.

And, as exhausting as it is, having your little one want YOU for comfort and healing is motivation to love MORE in every way so that he always comes to you when he's hurting.

3 comments:

The Yuan Fam said...

I'm so glad nothing too serious happened to Noah with his fever being so high. My niece just went through something similar and she ended up having a seizure due to the super high temp. All is well and she has recovered since. Hope Noah gets well soon!!!

The Wigginton Family said...

105--holy hannah that's high! How scary! I'm glad your sis was there so you could rush him to urgent care. And by the way, that is the sweetest sad/sick picture I've ever seen. Hope you get better soon Noah!

Brandon and Evie said...

Poor little guy :(. That is one awful cold. Hope he recovers quickly so you could all get some rest! I guess you can just enjoy the cuddle time while it lasts :).